Nomination period ends on 28 February, 2015
Leipzig, 13 November, 2014. Since 2001, the Media Foundation of Sparkasse Leipzig awards the "Prize for the Freedom and Future of the Media" to individuals and institutions that are committed to freedom of press. The award ceremony regularly takes place on 8 October - on the eve of the day in 1989 when tens of thousands of Leipzig's citizens protested for freedom of speech. On 8 October 2015, the Media Foundation wants to award its prize for the fifteenth time. The prize is endowed with 30,000 Euros.
Every natural or legal entity is allowed to nominate suitable candidates. We cordially invite you to nominate your candidates for the prize:
Nomination period for the "Prize for the Freedom and Future of the Media" 2015 ends on 28 February, 2015.
Subsequently, an expert will consider the quality of the proposals. Based on this expert assessment, a high-level expert jury elects the laureates in summer 2015.
Please consider the following criteria for your nominations:
- The prize is awarded to journalists, media professionals, publishers and also media institutions who are committed to protection and development of freedom of press by taking personal risks and with a strong democratic conviction.
- The committment of the candidates for the freedom of press outweighs their personal reputation.
- The laureate's performance demands journalistic quality and must refer to a relevant or notable issue of general interest.
- The prize is international: candidates and laureates are not subject of any territorial restrictions.
- Your candidate must clearly be identified by filing first- and surname or the name of the institution. Please include a short informal reasoning, a biography, publications and selected press articles illustrating the committment of your candidate for freedom of press to your nomination.
Please hand in your nominations until 28 February, 2015
Media Foundation of Sparkasse Leipzig
"Prize for the Freedom and Future of the Media"
Fax: +49(0)341 – 562 96 63
We look forward to your nominations by 28 February, 2015.